Tuesday 7 September 2010

Shop


One of my original "dreams" was to sell my work in fancy shops and boutiques. I never had the confidence in myself or my work to pursue this. This all changed when I arranged to have a shop window in Bristol.


At first I was thrilled to have all my work displayed in a commercial setting. I started to gain an understanding of my work. They serve as only physical projections of my imagination, which may sound a bit deep or cliche but its the truth. I don't like calling myself a designer because I don't design and I don't have ideas..I just make. I work the fabric until it gains form. I never know what the final outcome will be. It's like -what I can only describe as - freestyle millinery.

The cons started to increasingly out weigh the pros and cracks began to appear. Sure my work was being displayed to the public and they accumulated a lot of interest and I sold a few, but there were two main problems.
Firstly, the location. The shop was situated in Bedminster. Bedminster is not a particularly bad or rough area but it comes with the most disagreeable reputation. The majority of people associate Bedminster with Asda and/or being cheap. It took me a few weeks to realise that this was not the right place to sell my work, for it was a area people flock to for a bargain, not fancy expensive hats.

The second reason I decided to move out of there was because they started to attract negative response. I had gotten used to the odd negative comments though this this never bothered me for people are entitled to have what ever opinion they like about my work. If everyone loved them it would be boring. This however took a more serious route as my work attracted a group of activists that swarmed the shop and intimidated the shop owner. I wasn't there but the shop owner expressed the sincerity of it. Personally, I don't give a flying fuck what any of that silly old lot have to say, for my conscience and all my work is completely guilt free. Not a single animal I've ever used has been killed solely for my work.
The shop owner then decided to remove all pieces that ultilised animals, which is a good 75%, which I find truly ridiculous.

So, I decided to head to Clifton Village.. The previous shop boosted my confidence a lot.. so I felt ready to approach various independent shops and boutiques.


In contrast to Bedminster, Clifton village is the polar opposite. Clifton Village, Home of the Clifton suspension Bridge, is steeped in history, thus making it a key tourist attraction. It therefore boasts a vast selection of boutiques and high end shops. Vogue recently declared it as being one of the top 10 "best places to shop in the UK" which means it has gained national prestige. It's unlikely to ever find a bargain here but it's the place you go if you want something a little special.

My first approach was a little boutique called Pirates and Roses.



This shop harbours an eclectic and diverse range of unique hand made one offs. It will not sell more than three of the same item, and once they are sold, no more are ordered. This means there will always be new stock and more choice. This is the place to go if you want something that is unique. The shop also sells brands such as Gryhon of New York, the only other store that sells this brand is Harrods!
Today I had a meeting to discuss prices. I am so proud my work is being stocked in there.

There is a brand new Millinery shop in Clifton Arcade that I may approach soon. I feel I need to focus on a few things at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment